Thursday, October 4, 2007

What Was Misbah Thinking?


What was Misbah thinking?
Oh God!! Meray maula tera shukr to iss position main lay aiya…. Pakistan need 13 of six deliveries to be crowned the first T20 world champions.
They have the right person on the crease, Misbah Ul Haq facing India’s Joginder Sharma.

Jogi is the weak link in Indian bowling, I have to score at least 9 runs of the first three balls, otherwise it will become too much.
Reminder – I can not take single at any cost on the first four balls, I can not expose Asif to the Indian bowling, he got lucky on the previous ball but it will not happen every time.

I will be vilified if I loose it from here, I don’t want to think of what will happen back home…… I will win this inshAllah.

Focus…., take stance… focus on Jogi’s hand… he has started running, close to umpire, gets into his leap and bowl is delivered…. It is out side of off, I should move toward off and get close to the line, it is full in length…. May be I can cut it, but there is third man on the boundary… may be I can get under the ball and hit to long off….. stay on your place it quite wide…. It is a wide ball and the umpire signals wide.
Now we need 12 of 6, I need to hit a six and a four in the first four ball. If I can get the next one for a six then the pressure will be right on the Indian players.

Focus on the hand, which way is the seam… Jogi runs ins, close to umpire, leaps. The ball is fullish length and close to my range, It is in the slot, bat under the ball and don’t his it too hard… just time and distance will come from the flow of the bat and body…. Its high, over long off fielder… over his head into the stands.
Phew…. The ball was slower then what I expected it, bit further down the bat and it would have been caught.
Hoh….. 6 of 5 balls…. They are feeling the heat now….. Mahi is worried and wants to talk to Jogi…. Jogi looks like a dead man walking… his eyes are not telling a good story.

Jogi runs in, stay still and watch the ball…. Crosses the umpire and into his leap… it is wide of stumps and looks full…. I can get under it and hit over long off… it is drifting away…. I will leave it…. How on earth was that not given a wide… it was wide… I should not have moved toward the ball or should have hit it through covers for at least a double. Bugger.
Its 6 of 4 balls….. what ever you do, don’t think of Javed’s last ball six…. I need to hit a boundary in the next two balls… I can not leave more than 2 runs of the last two balls.

Just relax, you have brought it so far and the pressure is on the Indians…. They are not saying anything and even crowd has gone quite…. Those four sixes and Sohail and hit have really made the difference.
Get into the position and just look at the gaps and shots I can play… thirdman is wide, late cut the full delivery. There is a sweeper and three in the covers… I can try and reverse sweep a full toss …. But he is bowling slowly and that is a risky shot.

Jogi is running in, the ball is arriving very slow, I need to score a boundary to have a chance…. He is next to the umpire, takes a leap…. It is outside off, take a step forward….. the ball is taking an eternity to arrive… I can reverse sweep it… but there are two fielders waiting for this short… I should just slog it over long on…. There is one on the boundary…. Get under the ball and loft it over long off… there is a boundary rider there and the ball is slow I will need to get all the power on my own and the back lift was not big……. Foot forward, kneeling down, bat is coming from close to the right shoulder… I can sweep it, fine leg is in the circle… but there is deep square leg, fine leg is up…. I have just played a scoop shot…. Arghhh… the ball was very slow it still does not have enough pace on it…. Allah please take it wide of the fine leg fielder…. It is gone up in the air, I think I will clear Srisanth and then it’s a boundary… oh God it has got more height then distance……
And India have won the first T20 world cup, the man who brought them so close could not finish the game…..
My head is spinning, chest is closing in and I can not look around at anything, everything is spinning….. not once again… not this time…. Oh God…. What have I done…. Please let me forget this …..please give me this moment back.. just one moment…. This one shot should not be all of my career, I can not be remembered for just one shot….. ARGHHHHHH

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKh_9HpZE94

No comments: